The Medical Mobile Care Unit, known as the Eye Van, is a fully equipped, medical mobile eye-care clinic on wheels that travels more than 6,000 kilometres annually to provide service in Northern Ontario. Day to day, ophthalmologists conduct vision exams, treat eye conditions, perform minor surgeries, and offer much-needed medical advice and information about eye health. With a commitment from more than 25 ophthalmologists, the Eye Van serves 4,500 patients each year.
The Eye Van was established in 1972 as part of the Prevention of Blindness program in partnership with the Eye Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (Ontario's Ophthalmologists), a section of the Ontario Medical Association.
2021 Tour Schedule
We are pleased to confirm that we will have a 2021 tour commencing August 23, 2021. We have prepared a condensed hub-based tour that consists of blending communities for this year's schedule.
While we are eagerly planning and preparing, ensuring the health and safety of our patients and team members remains our top priority for the 2021 Eye Van tour. We will ensure that our policies and procedures will exceed the recommended guidelines of the Ministry of Health, while providing a safe environment for the delivery of health care.
We will continue to respond to patient eyecare needs as they arise and work with health care partners in the communities.
The tour schedule indicates the clinic location and the areas that will be serviced.
- Location: Lady Minto Hospital, 241 Eighth St
- Date: Aug 23-27
- Servicing patients from Englehart & Iroquois Falls
- Location: Centre de santé communautaire de Kapuskasing et région 27 Kolb Av
- Date: Aug 30-Sep 10
- Servicing patients from Smooth Rock Falls
- Location: Notre Dame Hospital, 1405 Edward St.
- Date: Sep 13-17
- Servicing patients from Hornepayne
- Location: NorWest Community Health Centre, 99 Skinner Av
- Date: Sep 20-24
- Servicing patients from Geraldton
- Location: Margaret Cochenour Memorial Hospital, 51 Hwy 105
- Date: Sep 27-Oct 1
- Servicing patients from Ear Falls, Pickle Lake, Sioux Lookout, Dryden, Kenora, Ignace
- Location: Family Health Team, 101 Zuke Rd
- Date: Oct 4-8
- Servicing patients from Fort Frances & Rainy River
- Location: General Hospital, 1 Health Care Cres
- Date: Oct 12-15
- Servicing patients from Schreiber/Terrace Bay & Nipigon
- Location: Lady Dunn Health Centre, 17 Government Rd
- Date: Oct 18-22
- Servicing patients from White River & Dubreuilville
- Location: Medical Centre/FHT, 2 Broomhead Rd
- Date: Oct 25-29
- Location: Royal Canadian Legion Branch 177, 15 Vankoughnet St E
- Date: Nov 1-5
- Servicing patients from Gore Bay, Mindemoya & Wikwemikong
Referrals to the Eye Van
Referrals are made through your general practitioner, nurse practitioner, optometrist or specialists.
What to expect for your upcoming appointment – COVID-19 Guidelines
Before your scheduled appointment, you will receive a confirmation call. During this call, you will be asked to verbally complete our COVID-19 Patient Screening Assessment to determine whether it is safe to proceed with your appointment at that time.
When you arrive for your appointment, a staff member will meet you at the door to the Eye Van, or at the designated meeting location. All staff will be required to wear medical grade masks and personal protective equipment during the appointment.
You will then be asked to complete hand hygiene upon entering the facility or meeting area and provided a medical grade mask if you do not have one. You must wear this mask throughout duration of the visit. If you are accompanied by a support person, they must also complete hand hygiene and wear a mask before entering the facility/meeting area.
If you require your support person to be involved in the assessment, they will be permitted to remain within the assessment area. Otherwise, they will be asked to move to a location that meets physical distancing requirements.
For more information regarding the Eye Van program, please call 1-888-675-2468.
Monique Coderre, Appointment Coordinator ext. 5422
Alyssa Elik, RPN, Program Coordinator, ext. 5419
Lisa O’Bonsawin, General Manager, ext. 5446