ON, Hamilton, Vision Rehabilitation Assistant
Do you want to work for a health care organization that changes people's lives? One that not only cares deeply about clients, but also values that its employees are its greatest asset?
Vision Loss Rehabilitation Canada is a unique health services organization that serves people who are blind or partially sighted across the country. Our certified specialists provide training that empowers clients to develop or to restore activities of daily living skills, to promote their independence, to enhance safety and mobility. We work closely with ophthalmologists, optometrists and other health care professionals, by providing essential care on a referral basis in homes, workplaces and communities across the country.
We offer competitive salaries and benefits, flexible schedules, and opportunities to grow.
For more information about Vision Loss Rehabilitation Canada, please visit visionlossrehab.ca or call 1-844-887-8572.
Position Title: Vision Rehabilitation Assistant
Location: Hamilton, ON
Reports To: Regional Manager
Date: October 5, 2021
I. Scope and Summary of Primary Responsibilities
This position is responsible for completing a broad range of responsibilities and duties that will enhance the provision of Vision Loss Rehabilitation Services. The position requires a highly competent and well-organized health care professional who values safety, security and patient wellness above all else.
The primary responsibilities include working in collaboration with our ACVREP certified Rehabilitation Specialists in the areas of Independent Living, Orientation and Mobility and Low Vision to carry out established rehabilitation activities or programs. The role will also provide driving and guiding assistance for staff who are blind or partially sighted.
II. Essential Functions
The position entails, but is not limited to the following general responsibilities:
- Under the direction of the Rehabilitation Specialists, receives referrals and assists with the implementation of rehabilitation plans/program.
- As part of a multidisciplinary team and in consultation with the specialist, provides input into the planning, implementation, modification, and evaluation of the rehabilitative treatment plans.
- Demonstrates and teaches adaptive skills for independent living, in areas of personal management, household management, communication, basic indoor orientation & mobility skills utilizing vision enhancement tools, basic keyboarding and technology training.
- Assists the specialist with the maintenance and inventory of adaptive devises as appropriate and demonstrates consumer products and low vision aids.
- Assists in monitoring and evaluating treatment and care plans and reporting observations and progress to the specialist.
- Provides functional direction to the client and other collaterals to maximize the client's rehabilitation process.
- Maintains all case data and documentation consistent with VLRC Systems and Procedures.
- Collaborates with rehabilitation team in service delivery, coordinates travel schedules and facilitates program development.
- Close working relationship with all members of the rehabilitation team.
- Provides support and consultation to individuals and their families re adjustment to vision loss.
- Attends and participates in multi-disciplinary team meetings.
- Promotes an understanding and awareness of vision health related issues through consultation, public education, and in-service training.
Problem Solving/Time Frame of Impact
- Works under the general direction of established processes.
- Provides timely and creative solutions and recommends process improvements.
- Creatively and quickly problem solves to respond to unique individual needs.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Exercises judgment and tact when working with clients and knowing when to elevate issues to the next level.
- Understands and abides by VLRC privacy and security policy.
- Exercises good judgment when determining if clients require a referral to another VLRC service or external services.
III. Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience)
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to adapt to changing situations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Possesses strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
- Demonstrates maturity and sensitivity, as well as possessing emotional and social stability when working with clients.
- Demonstrates strong ethics and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Possesses a mature and professional demeanor.
- Skilled in Microsoft software applications and ability to effectively care for computer hardware and learn various applications as applicable for the position.
- Solid understanding of vehicle servicing and maintenance requirements.
- Excellent driving and navigation skills.
Experience and Education:
- Post-secondary education and/or prior experience in a Rehabilitation Assistant program, Occupational or Physical Therapy Assistant program, Social Work or related field preferred.
- Previous working/volunteering experience working with individuals who are blind or partially sighted or a combined loss of hearing and sight.
- Clean Criminal Record required; Criminal Reference Check required for vulnerable populations.
If this sounds like the role for you, apply now to email@example.com.
Be sure to include a resume, cover letter, and mention how you heard about this opportunity
VLRC is committed to creating and fostering an inclusive culture and welcomes applications from diverse candidates, including but not limited to Indigenous peoples, women, candidates with disabilities, and candidates of colour. We strongly encourage applications from applicants with sight loss. Direct lived experience would be a definite asset. We're excited to review your application
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in VLRC, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Closing Date for Applications: October 12, 2021.